April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month. Our dentists and dental hygienists are often the only health professionals who complete a through examination of your oral cavity, head, and neck.
Check out some entries into the Bubble Challenge:
Join us in promoting Oral Cancer Awareness Month by participating in the Markiewicz Dental Bubble Challenge. Many Oral Cancer patients have had their mouths reconstructed, teeth removed, palates removed, pieces of their tongues removed, and simply cannot ever chew gum again…or blow a bubble. Join us by submitting a photo of yourself blowing a bubble, or stop in the office We will have a bowl of sugarless bubble gum. Blow a bubble and we will take a photo for you, or if you are like Dr. Markiewicz, who can't blow a bubble, just send a photo of yourself.
For every entry photo received during the month of April 2019, we at Markiewicz Dental, will donate $5.00 per photo ($250.00 maximum) to Oral Cancer Cause.
Enter to win one of (5) five Quip Toothbrushes by joining our Markiewicz Dental Bubble Challenge.
Blow a bubble, take a photo, and send it to us. It's that simple!!
Oral cancer refers to cancer that develops in any of the parts that make up the mouth:
- Inner lining of the cheeks
- Roof of the mouth
- Floor of the mouth (under the tongue)
- A lip or mouth sore that doesn't heal
- A white or reddish patch on the inside of your mouth
- Loose teeth
- A growth or lump inside your mouth
- Mouth pain
- Ear pain
- Difficult or painful swallowing
Make an appointment at Markiewicz Dental (847.566.2811) if you have any persistent signs and symptoms that bother you and last more than two weeks. We will likely investigate other more common causes for your signs and symptoms first, such as an infection.
Factors that can increase your risk of mouth cancer include:
- Tobacco use of any kind, including cigarettes, cigars, pipes, chewing tobacco and snuff, among others
- Heavy alcohol use
- Excessive sun exposure to your lips
- A sexually transmitted virus called human papillomavirus (HPV)
- A weakened immune system
There's no proven way to prevent mouth cancer. However, you can reduce your risk of mouth cancer if you:
- Stop using tobacco or don't start.If you use tobacco, stop. If you don't use tobacco, don't start. Using tobacco, whether smoked or chewed, exposes the cells in your mouth to dangerous cancer-causing chemicals.
- Drink alcohol only in moderation, if at all.Chronic excessive alcohol use can irritate the cells in your mouth, making them vulnerable to mouth cancer. If you choose to drink alcohol, do so in moderation. For healthy adults, that means up to one drink a day for women of all ages and men older than age 65, and up to two drinks a day for men age 65 and younger.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure to your lips.Protect the skin on your lips from the sun by staying in the shade when possible. Wear a broad-brimmed hat that effectively shades your entire face, including your mouth. Apply a sunscreen lip product as part of your routine sun protection regimen.
- See us at Markiewicz Dental as part of a routine dental exam, we will inspect your entire mouth for abnormal areas that may indicate mouth cancer or precancerous changes.
As always, don't hesitate to contact us with questions.
We strive to provide the best care possible. Our team is passionate about learning and continuously improving. The pace of change can be both exciting and overwhelming. Trust that we at Markiewicz Dental will always be improving.
Feel free to leave a comment or question for our doctors and staff - we hope this will be a valuable resource for our patients, their families, and friends!
Here at the dental office of Dr. Anthony Markiewicz, we believe everyone deserves a healthy and beautiful smile. That’s why we’re proud to provide comprehensive dental services in a friendly and professional environment to our neighbors in Mundelein, Hawthorn Woods, Libertyville, Vernon Hills, Grayslake, Wauconda, and all of Lake County. If you have any questions related to dental health or the services we provide in our dental office, please feel free to give us a call at 847-566-2811, reach out to us at our contact page, or schedule an appointment online. We can’t wait to help you obtain a gorgeous smile. From everyone here at Anthony Markiewicz Dentistry, we wish all the best.