When it comes to family dentistry, Anthony Markiewicz DDS is proud to offer a wide variety of procedures to help our patients achieve the smile they’ve always wanted. As your trusted Mundelein family dentist, we don’t just want to give you a healthy smile – we want to ensure that you keep your teeth for a longer lifetime. In order to help you do so, we offer a number of treatments, including periodontal therapy.
ABOUT PERIODONTAL THERAPY
Having a healthy smile isn’t just about the teeth themselves – it’s also about the gums and bone structure that surround them. Gum disease can threaten these supporting tissues, which is why it’s important for you to come in for regular dental cleanings and checkups. If we notice signs of trouble, we may suggest periodontal therapy. The goal of periodontal therapy is to restore diseased tissues to a healthy state. Gum disease can spread from the gums to the bone that supports the teeth and can even cause tooth loss in some cases.
OUR PERIODONTAL THERAPY PROCEDURES
At Anthony Markiewicz DDS, our periodontal therapy takes many different forms in order to guarantee that we always have an effective option for treating any of your periodontal health needs. Our periodontal therapy procedures we offer include:
- Crown Lengthening Surgery – This surgical procedure is used when tooth structure is covered by gum and bone tissue and it needs to be exposed for cosmetic reasons or to aid in securing a new dental crown. This will make the teeth appear longer and the smile look less gummy.
- Dental Implants – Dental implants are the preferred method for tooth replacement. For this minor surgical procedure, a titanium dental implant is placed beneath the gum line and into the jawbone. A realistic-looking dental crown is then attached to the implant. This crown is virtually indistinguishable from a natural tooth.
- Gum Grafting – When there are areas of lost gum tissue, gum grafting is used to make sure that tooth roots are still protected. Healthy gum tissue will be taken from one area of the mouth and moved to where it’s needed. Laboratory-processed donor tissue may also be used for this procedure.
- Periodontal Laser Treatment – This removes diseased gum tissue and can offer less discomfort when compared to conventional surgery.
- Periodontal Plastic Surgery – This is a reshaping procedure that creates a more pleasing look for the gum tissues.
- Scaling and Root Planing – These are deep-cleaning techniques that are used to control gum disease. Using hand scalers and ultrasonic instruments, we can remove plaque and calculus that accumulate beneath the gum tissue.
MAINTAINING YOUR PERIODONTAL HEALTH
We recommend following these tips if you want to keep your periodontal health at an optimal level:
- Brush and floss every day to remove dental plaque – the main cause of periodontal disease. Make sure not to scrub your teeth too hard; this can actually cause your gums to recede.
- Schedule regular professional cleaning appointments with us so we can remove the plaque from the areas of your mouth that are hard to reach with a toothbrush or floss. A dental exam is also a perfect time for us to see if you’re showing early signs of gum disease.
- Avoid tobacco and eat a nutritious diet that’s low in sugar. This will greatly increase your periodontal health and help you keep your teeth for the rest of your life!
CONTACT YOUR MUNDELEIN FAMILY DENTIST TODAY!
For any other questions on periodontal therapy or our treatment procedures, please feel free to contact us. We at Anthony Markiewicz DDS are glad to help you with any of your concerns. If you’re looking to schedule a dental cleaning with a periodontal health checkup, we encourage you to give us a call at (847) 566-2811. Alternatively, you can request an appointment online. We look forward to meeting you and helping you keep your teeth for a lifetime!